Import and Export Regulations

Import Permits

APHIS FORM 7001 is NOT an acceptable documentation for interstate certificates of veterinary inspection for Kansas Imports OR Exports.

Call the Kansas import desk at (785) 564-6616 during office hours (8am-5pm Central) for import regulations and permit numbers. Species-specific import regulations can be found below. If you are exporting animals out of Kansas, please call the state of destination. A list of state import contacts can be found here.

  • For an entry permit any time, enter your information into the online permitting system here. First-time users will need to register on the site. Below is a description of the Animal ID Codes in the online permitting system.
  • OR - After hours, call the Kansas import desk at (785) 564-6616 to leave a message with required information and receive a temporary permit number. A list of required information is below.
  • For the import of animals from other countries, call the Kansas import desk at (785) 564-6616. International health certificates and testing requirements must also be met.
  • What do the Animal ID Codes mean?

  • What information is required on a permit?

  • Which livestock need a permit?

Import Regulations

Animals imported into Kansas must meet our Import Requirements to ensure the safety and health of both the animal and the Kansas livestock industry. Read the Kansas statutes and regulations at:

Kansas Statutes Annotated (K.S.A.) and Kansas Administrative Regulations (K.A.R.)
Kansas Trichomoniasis K.A.R. 9-7-4 (c)

General Requirements are as follows:
All animals entering Kansas shall be accompanied by an official Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI, health certificate) issued within 30 days prior to movement into Kansas unless moving to an approved slaughter facility or to an approved livestock market. All species imported for breeding purposes or requiring testing shall be individually identified by a method approved by the animal health commissioner (official USDA ear tag, breed registration tattoo, microchip, registered ear notch, etc). A list of official identification ear tags can be found here.

All health certificates must have physical addresses (NOT post office boxes) for both the consignor and consignee.

For specific species, select the type of animal being imported into Kansas from the list below and follow the guidelines provided, or visit to search import requirements from any state.
  • Beef Cattle

  • Dairy Cattle

  • Rodeo Stock

  • Bison

  • Domesticated Deer and Captive Cervidae

  • Swine - Porcine

  • Camelids (Llamas, Alpacas, Camels, etc.)

  • Equidae (Horses, Asses, and Zebra)

  • Ratites (Ostrich, Emu, Rhea, etc.)

  • Sheep and Goats

  • Birds and Fowl

  • Dogs and Cats

  • Zoo and Exotic Animals, Wildlife

Commissioner's order restricting the importation of dairy breeds

As of April 01, 2012, until further notice, a commissioner's order tightens import regulations on all dairy breeds of cattle entering Kansas. To view this order click here.

Export Regulations

APHIS FORM 7001 is NOT an acceptable documentation for interstate certificates of veterinary inspection for Kansas Imports OR Exports.

For exporting animals from Kansas to other states and/or countries, please see the destination state's import requirements. A list of contacts for all US states and territories can be found at the USDA import and export regulations webpage here.